Saturday, December 26, 2009

Selfish selflessness

You know how some people do good things hypocritically for selfish reasons? ...to obtain a good reputation, to market themselves to the opposite sex, to mask their evil intentions, or even to satisfy their conscience after doing something bad.

Judgmental and self-righteous people will most definitely criticise these people for being such fakes.

However, have you ever thought of what these insincere good deeds do for the recipients??? If an orphanage was the one who receives a self-motivated contribution, would they feel any different from receiving a contribution from a sincere person? Unlikely. A good deed, no matter what the motivation ... is still a good deed. If a insincere millionaire gives money to build a home, homeless people get a roof over their head. If a socialite wants to raise her public profile by publicy "volunteering" her time to help sick cancer patients... these cancer patients still feel good that someone is there to help them, and even receive more publicity that can spur more others who would want to help after being aware of their plight.

To the recipient, a good thing still happens and there is a positive impact on their lives. A good deed does something good no matter what the motivation behind it.

As for me, I too am human... more often than not motivated by self-interest and self-centred-ness.


Why do I brave d sun, get my hands dirty to plant trees and sort & recycle my waste?
To ease my conscience that I contribute to the consumption and pollution on this earth.


Why do I help refugee kids develop artistic talents despite d fact that I absolutely dislike being around kids?
To feel that sense of achievement that I had progress further than the music ministry in church to other ministries. I want to progress and get promoted everywhere, not just at work... but in church, in theatre, in academic.

Why do I do nice things for the people I love: hubby, sister, parents, best friends?
Because I get a nice warm fuzzy happy feeling when I see them happy as they matter to me.

The journey can be a good deed, motivated by the destination of self-interest. In my opinion, it doesn't matter what the endpoint is... if something good is done, there is a positive impact on someone somewhere.

Go on... be selfish. Don't judge others' motives. In this festive season, think of the less fortunate and do a good deed. It is not as selfless as you think. You will be surprise what YOU can get out of it. =)


Blessed Christmas and a Joyful New Year to all!!!

No comments: