Saturday, December 20, 2008

Bitch-fit!!!!!

Recently, I've been forced to crack d whip on some people who had no sense of urgency in finishing a task. I don't like throwing these bitch-fits but this time my patience finally ran out.

For those who know me well will know that I always play nice when I need something done. I may use feminine wiles or even inflict guilt but I ALMOST never play the bitch card. My philosophy is, we are all adults and we all know what needs to be done, whether at work or in any other areas of our lives. You would think people doing a Masters degree would be mature enough to research, read and do what they need to do without being pushed but boy, was I soooo wrong!!... not only did these people not have the sense of urgency, when they finally do the task, they don't read through what actually needs to be done. Instead some of them just fill up some slides with statements pluck from thin air!!

We are NOT doing things for the sake of doing. Every step has a purpose and needs to be supported by facts. This is not a kindergarden project. This is not writing up a fictitious story. This is an analysis!!

Instead of thanking me for pushing them to do it, I get snide sarcastic remarks about throwing a bitch-fit temper. HELLLLOO!! You are NOT doing this assignment to appease me. This subject is for ALL of us to learn and to hopefully pass!! In case they haven't notice, ALL of us are in this boat together.

We have so much holes in it, so many ideas pluck from thin air, I'm not even sure I know how to lead them to fix this mess. :(...
I really don't know what to do anymore, the deadline is close by... and I have sacrificed enough time & effort on this to pull out & just defer the bloody subject.

Was it a mistake to want to venture out of my comfort zone this semester? I had decided not to stick to my usual group of friends for all assignments this semester. Was that a bad decision?

I don't think so, it's still a good experience. At the very least... I learnt 2 things:
- that it is crucial to have good team mates. People who work for the same purpose and are equally committed. People who are proactive and need not be pushed as they see the goals as a benefit to themselves as well. So, choose carefully if you have that option.
- that if you do not an option, you need to manage people and manage the circumstances. You need to be strong & get emotional even when you feel like crying. You need to bring out any personality that can get the job done even if it not the real you. You don't need to like it, and neither do they. Coz it's business and not personal.

Wish me luck... God knows I need lots of it.

4 comments:

clarissaCSL said...

Good luck girl!!! I'm sure you'll pass your Masters with flying colours.

Leonora Halim said...

hmmm... wait until you become a manager in an institution... then everything will fall apart again... ;-) just rise up, close one ear.. it's your life not them.. dun waste time educating these 'super-ignorance-stupid' people... teamates tak buat kerja, let him/her be... we do it ourselves, exclude their name on the credit.. it's not worth your time/ energy dear... *hugs*

karynn said...

thanx girls.... thank God for all da sistas of the world!! what would we do without our sistas??

Anonymous said...

hang on there... no mountain too high!