Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Fat is in the eye of the beholder

The other day at gym, a girl told me that I’ve lost a lot of weight over the past few months. Then she went on to say that she saw pictures of me a few years ago and said that I was so fat then but have since gotten so thin now. No wonder another girl came up to me some time ago and asked me if i was very fat before and what was my weight loss secret. Now I know the source of that rumour spreading around. I know she meant well, it was probably a compliment as losing weight has become synonymous with looking good nowadays.
But hmm, fat? Very fat? I never thought of myself as ever being fat. Yes, fatter than now but definitely not fat. Was I really fat?
What do you think? This was in the beginning of 2003, before I dated shades, before I even knew what Fitness First and GX are.

I haven’t been trying to lose any weight. I go to gym to maintain a healthy lifestyle, to have fun, to see my bf more often and to socialize with my gym-going friends! I thought my previous weight was fine, it was well within the perfect BMI range. I have been weighing myself all this while and I really haven’t been losing much if any weight these past few months. But then again, I see myself everyday therefore a slow and gradual lost would be totally unnoticeable to me. I am sure I have lost some due to the increase in energy output, it is only logical in the science of energy balance.

I truly wonder what’s up with the world today. The definition of fat just became thinner and thinner. No wonder cases of Anorexia and Bulimia are on the rise in the quest of a “beautiful figure”. The definition of a “beautiful figure” is moving closer and closer to malnutrition.
peggy lee 1940s
marilyn monroe 1950s
madonna 1985
kate moss 1995
paris hilton 2005
2020???

Urgh! I've never been much of a trend follower anyway so I think I’d better start increasing my energy input to balance things out before I catch up with the trend a “beautiful figure”!!!

1 comment:

fatboybakes said...

OI, what is wrong wit fat??